Monday, March 8, 2010

Can Sixth Graders Make The World A Better Place?

I believe they can.

Still living on the energy from Dr. Tim Tyson's keynote at this year's Dublin Literacy Conference, and inspired my all my Dublin blogging friends, Franki Sibberson, Mary Lee Hahn, Katie DiCesare, Karen Terlecky,Cathy Mere, and Mandy Robek.....This is my very first early morning to blog and share the work my sixth grade students are doing this week.

First of all, I'm a education conference nerd, and if I didn't have to present, I would have been at every single session of Dr. Tyson's at this conference. Second of all, when I learn something I think can make a difference in the lives of my students, I tend to go after it. Third of all, because I'm fortunate to have an amazing school administration and team of colleagues, our sixth graders are going to have the opportunity of a lifetime this week---working with award winning producer, writer, and director, Joe Fab. He's the mastermind behind Paper Clips, an amazing documentary about how students responded to their learning about the Holocaust. Our sixth graders, inspired by the movies of Dr. Tyson's middle school students and led by Mr. Fab, will learn how to create their very own "provocumentaries" (That's the name coined by my brilliant colleague Keith Minisman, who also got Mr. Fab here for us--movies that will provoke an audience to think, act, and make change in their world)

Yep, it's standardized testing season, but I'm fortunate to work with people who believe it's not the " test score" but the real learning that matters more than any test out there.
And yes, I believe that this week and for the rest of their lives, our kids can make the world a better place.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you are blogging. Can't wait to read your early morning reflections. You have inspired me to return to my own blogging.

    Thanks so much for sharing your thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, girl! Can't wait to hear more about your fab 6th graders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoohooo! Your sixth graders are lucky to have you and we are lucky that you decided to blog!!! Going to paper clips now to check it out! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so exciting! Glad you shared it with us.

    The project does sound like a once in a lifetime opportunity for your students. Please keep us posted. I thought about how brilliant Tim Tyson was and how wonderful the videos were, but you are actually going to DO something about it. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann Marie, I'm so excited you have a blog now!! I'm telling all my friends. ;o) I can't wait to hear about your "provocumentaries". I love the ways you find to get your students' voices out into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited you are blogging now! I can relate to being an education conference nerd, that's how I found you! Enjoy blogging and I can't wait to continue to share with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...just coming back to say, I love that AM is morning AND Ann Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the amazing world of blogging Ann Marie! I enjoyed meeting you and even dining with you in Dublin at the conference. I was lucky enough to be Dr. Tim Tyson's hostess for the day. I, too, was inspired by his students' work. He is truly a tech visionary! I can wait to hear about your 6th graders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, wonderful friends, for your blogging encouragement and cheerleading! I'm learning every day, but I am sure I'll have lots of questions for all of you!
    Happy Tuesday!
    XOXO,
    AM

    ReplyDelete